Three years ago today God gave you to the world and Mom and I get the privilege of calling you our son. Mom woke up this morning and said her two favorite days of the whole year are your birthday and Jami’s.
Today is your day.
When you were born I made a mix tape for everyone that came in to visit; I believe I even forced them onto people at work. One of the first songs is called, “Let the Day Begin” by The Call. They are an old band from the 80’s most people forgot about; but this song shouldn’t be lost.
Let the Day Begin
Here’s to the babies in a brand new world
Here’s to the beauty of the stars
Here’s to the travelers on the open road
Here’s to the dreamers in the bars
Here’s to the teachers in the crowded rooms
Here’s to the workers in the fields
Here’s to the preachers of the sacred words
Here’s to the drivers at the wheel
Here’s to you my little loves with blessings from above
Now let the day begin
– Michael Been, The Call
Everyday is full of it’s own beauty and pain. Everyday we wake up and start fresh again. As followers of Jesus we can look at that beauty and pain with confidence because we define ourselves not by what’s around us and how we are doing, but by what God sees in us because of Jesus. It gives us the strength to wake up with our heads held high and let the day begin.
Even though you are three your mom and I see your tenderness and strength coming out at such a young age.
Here are some highlights this year:
- Your speech has been slow; but you have improved so much over the last couple of months because of how hard you are trying. Seeing you work hard is such a blessing. So many letters are hard for you to say, but you keep trying. You are a fighter.
- You and Jami and playing better than ever; of course you fight a lot too, just less
- You potty trained so fast. Just in a couple of days.
- Sleeping through the night is hard, so you come into our bed almost every night. And you wiggle a lot when you sleep.
- You love UmiZoomi and Planes (Pixar)
- You love Dance Parties. Right now your favorite video is “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift.
- You love to read; but your very controlling and have something to say about each page before we can turn it. Every book is this way.
- You had your first real trip to the beach; you are afraid of the ocean but loved the sand
- You loved the rides at the Wonderland Pier. You screamed with excitement when the fire truck ride started to move.
- You went camping for the first time
- You play really well. You are imaginative and very organized in your play. Everything ends up in a row.
- You discovered icecream at DQ. You are obsessed. You get angry at us if we drive even near DQ and don’t grab a quick cone through drive through. Jami could care less, you couldn’t care more.
Here’s to you Zach. Here’s to you with blessings from above. May the days never overwhelm you; but always challenge you to never be afraid of who you are and how God made you. May the world someday know the blessing of who you are just like your family does.
To new days and fresh starts,